Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Fried Food with Less Fat?

Today, I tried out a new place for lunch called Mom's Sandwiches. It just opening yesterday in Delray Beach, FL. I received a menu in the mail and it looked pretty good and inexpensive. The items that really caught my eye were their appetizers. They were your usual french fries, onion rings, fried calamari, and mozzarella sticks, but something about these were different. They said 60-80% less calories, not fried in cooking oil. I was very intrigued.

So I went in today at lunch, and everyone working was family, three generations behind the counter. All very friendly and excited to have business. I ordered a salad, my boyfriend ordered a meatloaf sandwich, and we decided to try out these fries. The salad was average, next time I am definitely getting a sandwich, it seems to be their specialty. And the meatloaf sandwich was very interesting and very tasty. It was a slice of meatloaf with mozzerella cheese and mashed potatoes all on an italian roll. I would definitely recomeng trying that out!

The fries were interesting to say the least. When we inquired about how they make fried food with out oil, there wasn't really any response. I did manage to get one of them to say it was "new technology". I did a google search when I got home and couldn't find anything about this new technology. The fries werent as good as traditional fries but if they really are 60-80% less calories I will be ordering again.

All in all for their second day in business they seemed to have things pretty together. Everyone was very nice, and the food was decent. This place is a sandwich shop so order sandwiches, the salad was not up to par.

No comments:

Post a Comment